Dental Injuries – Tooth Loss

  1. Home
  2. Dental Articles
  3. Orthodontic Articles
  4. Dental Injuries – Tooth Loss
  1. Home
  2. Dental Articles
  3. Orthodontic Articles
  4. Dental Injuries – Tooth Loss



If an adult (permanent) tooth is knocked out, there is a reasonable chance it will survive if it is put back into the gum straight away, and you seek help immediately from a dentist. Every minute the tooth is out of the gum, the less chance it has of surviving. Do not put baby teeth back in the mouth if they are knocked out. This can damage the developing permanent tooth underneath the gum.

Knocked-out adult (permanent) teeth

If an adult or the permanent tooth is knocked out:

  • Handle the tooth by the crown (smooth white part), not the root (yellowish pointy parts).
  • If the tooth is dirty, gently rinse it in milk or saline for a few seconds – not in water. (If no milk or saline is available, rinse the tooth in water for up to ten seconds.)
  • Gently put the tooth back into the gum. Make sure the pointy root is the part that goes into the gum. Only do this if the person is conscious.
  • Get the person to hold the tooth in place by gently biting on something soft, like a handkerchief.
  • Make sure the person sees a dentist immediately.

If you can’t put a permanent tooth back:

  • put it in milk, or saline or, if these are not available, wrap it in plastic food wrap
  • make sure the person visits a dentist immediately (and takes the tooth with them).

What NOT to do with a knocked-out adult tooth

  • Don’t clean the tooth by scrubbing or using cleaning products or water.
  • Don’t handle the tooth by the root.
  • Don’t let the tooth dry out.

Knocked-out baby teeth

Do not put a knocked-out baby tooth back in the gum, because it might:

  • fuse to the bone. This causes problems when it is time for the baby tooth to fall out naturally, and can affect the growth of the adult tooth, bone and gums
  • damage the permanent tooth sitting underneath in the gum.

If your child has a baby tooth knocked out, see your dentist to make sure there is no other damage to the teeth or mouth.


Chipped or cracked tooth

Cracked or fractured teeth may or may not be painful. It is recommended that you see an oral health professional as soon as possible, as early repair can improve the health and survival of the damaged tooth. Your gum might also be damaged, and it may need attention.

If the tooth fragment is broken and is intact:

  • store it in milk or saliva (preferably the saliva of the person with the broken tooth) or, if these are not available, seal it in plastic wrap
  • see an oral health professional as soon as possible.

Where to get help

  • Your dentist
  • Emergency dental care is available to all Victorians through The Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne and is available to eligible Victorians at community dental clinics. For more information about public emergency dental services Tel. (03) 9341 1000, or 1800 833 039 outside Melbourne metro
  • Australian Dental Association ‘Find a Dentist’ search function or Tel. (03) 8825 4600

To read the original article, click here.


The content has been made available for informational and educational purposes only. Central Coast Orthodontics does not make any representation or warranties with respect to the accuracy, applicability, fitness, or completeness of the content.

The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional personal diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your dentist or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a dental or medical condition. Never disregard professional advice or delay seeking it because of something you have read or seen on the Site.

Learn More About

Related Articles

Ready to get started? Fill in this form and we will be in touch: