Foods You Can’t Eat with Braces
Getting your child braces is a great way to improve your child’s appearance and oral health, but it can be challenging for kids as well. In addition to altering their appearance, having braces means avoiding certain foods that can bend or break wires, get stuck in braces, and cause tooth decay.
Avoid Eating These Foods With Braces
The foods that your child should avoid while wearing braces range from crunchy foods, such as nuts and popcorn, to chewy foods like licorice and beef jerky.
Below, we provide a more in-depth look at the foods your child should not eat with braces.
1. Crunchy foods can bend the wires on braces, loosen bands, and knock off brackets. Some crunchy foods can also get stuck in braces causing pain and possible tooth decay.
Kids with braces should stay away from:
- Corn chips
- Crunchy tacos
- Raw carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, and radishes
2. Hard foods that are not softened before eating can hurt teeth with braces, especially if they are new or have recently been adjusted.
Chewing on these foods can also damage braces:
- Hard candies, including candy canes and lollipops
- Hard rolls
- Hard cookies or biscuits
- Peanut brittle
3. Chewy foods can be satisfying, but they can mean disaster for your child’s braces and may be difficult to eat.
Kids with braces should avoid eating:
- Beef jerky
- Pizza crust
- Large pieces of meat
4. Foods that require front teeth to eat will be difficult to manage with full braces.
Biting into these foods with the front teeth can loosen brackets and bend wires:
- Corn on the cob
- Chicken wings
- Whole apples and pears
- Whole pickles
5. Sticky and sugary foods are bad for teeth with or without braces.
An occasional treat of the following is off-limits for kids with braces:
- Bubble gum
- Fruit roll-ups
- Gummy bears
6. Non-food items should definitely stay out of a mouth with braces. Chewing on these items can end up costing money to repair the braces and more time spent in the braces.
Kids with braces should avoid chewing on:
- Ice cubes
- Pencils and pens
- Paper clips
Protect Your Braces at Central Coast Orthodontics
The kid-friendly dental professionals at your local Central Coast Orthodontics can help make the challenges of wearing braces easier for your kids and you.
To read the original article, click here.
The content has been made available for informational and educational purposes only. Central Coast Orthodontics does not make any representation or warranties with respect to the accuracy, applicability, fitness, or completeness of the content.
The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional personal diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your dentist or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a dental or medical condition. Never disregard professional advice or delay seeking it because of something you have read or seen on the Site.